This article is one of a series of blog posts Webolutions is publishing each month about increasing email deiverability for the new year. Want to learn more inbox tips? Download a copy of our latest ebook, Making It in the Inbox in 2019: A Complete Guide to Better Email Deliverability.
In our latest blog post, we tackle what email marketers live and die by: the almighty subject line. After all, this is the main factor for getting subscribers to open an email. Subject lines should be compelling, persuasive and descriptive so a recipient will open the email message.
Give some serious thought to the copy you use for subject lines. While a subject line should stand out, abiding by the following guidelines will help you craft some worthwhile words.
- Optimize for mobile – Most devices cut off between 50 and 65 characters (so place the most compelling words in the beginning).
- Be true to you – Stay on-brand with your voice.
- Convey a sense of urgency – If applicable.
- Be relevant – Enough said.
- Use action-oriented words – Get results.
- Offer an exclusive value proposition – Give subscribers something they can’t get anywhere else.
- Avoid spam triggers – Don’t use ALL CAPS, tons of !!!!!! and spammy words.
- Personalize – Use a subscriber’s first name sparingly or when appropriate.
- Have fun with emojis – But don’t overdo it.
- Test, test, test – Did we mention you should test?
We’re here to help. If you’re looking to partner with someone when it comes to your email marketing, that’s where we come in. Give Webolutions a call today at 303-300-2640 or email [email protected] and let’s get your emails in those inboxes!
Image Source: flickr user Joe The Goat Farmer