- 6.5.13 - Experiential Marketing: Great Info Yields Great Results with QR Codes
- 6.5.13 - Current Marketing Trends- Content Marketing is a Must
- 6.4.13 - Webolutions Analytics: Measuring Online Presence & Effectiveness Over Time
- 5.22.13 - Denver Social Media Marketing Group Adds Advertising to Social Media Strategy Plans
- 5.15.13 - Denver Social Media: Advertising on Twitter Now Accessible for Smaller Businesses
- June 2013 (3)
- May 2013 (6)
- April 2013 (5)
- March 2013 (8)
- February 2013 (6)
- January 2013 (7)
- December 2012 (3)
- November 2012 (7)
- October 2012 (5)
- September 2012 (8)
- August 2012 (6)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (2)
- May 2012 (5)
- April 2012 (10)
- March 2012 (8)
- February 2012 (6)
- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (4)
- November 2011 (5)
- October 2011 (7)
- September 2011 (4)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (3)
- June 2011 (6)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (6)
- March 2011 (6)
- February 2011 (5)
- January 2011 (4)
- December 2010 (4)
- November 2010 (9)
- October 2010 (2)
- September 2010 (2)
- August 2010 (2)
- July 2010 (6)
- April 2010 (4)
- March 2010 (9)
- February 2010 (3)
- January 2010 (1)
- December 2009 (5)
- November 2009 (5)
- October 2009 (1)
- September 2009 (7)
- August 2009 (7)
- July 2009 (4)
- May 2009 (3)
- April 2009 (4)
- August 2008 (1)
- November 2007 (1)
- October 2007 (3)
Web Analytic Software - Only Useful if Actionable
John Vachalek - 8.5.2009 8:14 AM
|The key to successfully using Web analytics is ensuring that whatever you are tracking is actionable. It is easy to get bogged down in a huge amount of information provided by these tools. As well, all this information can be manipulated dozens of different ways. Without a plan, it is not uncommon to sit down in a meeting to review your Website analytics information and have everyone heading off in different directions, based on the numbers they relate to in the report. This is complete waste of time.
The only information that should be reviewed is the information that you have determined as actionable. What do we mean by this? “Actionable” indicates the results upon which you are willing to take action. The actions taken may include:
• Changing the ads which generated the traffic
• Changing the entire structure of the Website to increase results
• Changing the graphics of the Website to increase results
• Changing the content of the Website to increase results
• Changing or adding instructions to the Website to increase results
• Adding more automated processes to the Website to increase results
Before implementing a tracking strategy, you must determine your willingness to take action based on the results. In all cases this is resource decision. This will mean paying your Website development company or allocating more time to your internal team to make these ongoing adjustments. If you are not willing to consider making drastic changes to your site, then you should only track the information upon which you are willing to act.
Some of the key indicators Webolutions tracks monthly for our clients includes:
• Number of Site Visitors by Specific Marketing Activity
• Number of Sales by Specific Marketing Activity
• Number of Pages Ranked on Page 1 of Google for Primary Search Terms
• Bounce Rate of the Site’s Top 5 Entry Pages
• % of Visitors Who Add an Item to their Shopping Cart
• % of Visitors Who Complete the Shopping Process
• Number of Incoming Links to the Website
• Site Saturation of the Website
By tracking this basic information, we are able to determine and prioritize the actionable items which should take place on a monthly basis to increase our client’s overall Website performance.
• Schedule monthly (minimum) analytic reviews on your calendar and make this a priority.
• Determine the specific information you need to track and make sure it is truly actionable.
• Only track three or four actionable items at a time. This allows you to tell the specific impact of each adjustment.
• Make sure you have an analytics solution which can provide the information you need to be successful.
To schedule a Free evaluation of how you can better use analytics to increase the effectiveness of your Website, contact Webolutions at 1-800-657-6055.
Please feel free to submit your comments, experiences or input to this blog post below.
Posted in Online Marketing »
1 Response to "Web Analytic Software - Only Useful if Actionable"
07/09/2010 7:03:48 PM
awesome information. This is a great site.